Teacher versus Parent

I have been a public school teacher for over 15 years.  This past year was the first year I was a parent of a public school student.  I really thought that all my experience as a teacher would prepare me for Kindergarten.  I had a lot of expectations (some that I realize now were unrealistic and even a little silly) and the reality was far different.

Kindergarten was a tough year for us.  We had to fight for a lot of things that we felt Castiél needed.  I didn't enjoy that process, and seeing "school" from that side of the table has really changed my viewpoint and my interactions with parents.  Also, I have finally realized that when I put my child into school, I had all of the expectations and baggage from my own schooling.  I was always a people pleaser - I wanted the teacher to like me, and I was usually (but not always) the "teacher's pet."  I guess I wanted to be the teacher's favorite as a parent too.  That's the completely silly and unrealistic expectation that I didn't even know I was holding on to.  I'm glad I finally figured it out so I can laugh at myself and get over it before 1st grade!

Now that we are finished with this school year, I am looking at all of the things that I'm thankful for - I am so thankful for Castiél's teachers.  He has loved them, and I think they have loved on him this year and for him, Kindergarten was a pretty great year overall.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joy of Home Renovations

The Refugee Crisis: How you can make a difference

Checking off the list: Chop Chop