People over politics

We are currently in a place in our country where politics are everywhere.  News articles, social media posts, hashtags - it's exhausting. Facebook has become a battleground.  Many people are becoming involved in the political discussion for the first time, and in a way, I think that is good.  Being an active part of our democracy is important.

However, it seems to have gotten away from us.  Politics should be a means, not the end. Political systems are created to work for the people, not the other way around.  I think this is something we can all agree on, no matter where we stand on the political spectrum.



So I have decided to put people over politics.  You can even make it a hashtag - #peopleoverpolitics.  I don't know if hashtags are really all that helpful in putting people first though, it's more about your words and actions than a catchy hashtag.

Here are a few ways I plan on putting people over politics:

  1. Love people, regardless of their political views.  I have to be honest.  Sometimes that means I have to unfollow people on social media.  It isn't simply because I disagree with their politics, but if people are just mean in their posts, it makes me view them differently.  And regardless of how central politics seem to be right now, no one is only their political views.  I want to be able to see the whole person when I look at someone.  If that means I need to not see their political posts?  So be it.  The person is more important than their (or my) political views.  
  2. Look at political issues from the perspective of people rather than political views or financial impact.  I understand that political parties have platforms and that governments need to be financially fiscal.  However, I am not a political party nor am I a government.  So when I look at an issue, I'm going to consider the person it could effect.  
  3. Look for ways to serve people in my community and the world.  Stop talking and start doing!  In my own community there are a number of different ways I can get involved to love people in a tangible way.  Globally, there are organizations that I can donate to that will serve those people on my behalf.  I especially like Humanwire, as there is a one-to-one connection with the people you are serving.  
I am by no means perfect in my effort to put people before ideology, but I do think it's worth the effort.
"A new command I give you:  Love one another.  As I have loved you, so you must love one another.  By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."  John 13:34-35

"Be devoted to one another in love.  Honor one another above yourselves."  Romans 12:10 

Comments