#GivingTuesday

Today is #givingtuesday and it is a breath of fresh air after Black Friday and Cyber Monday.  



One of my favorite parts of my Rodan + Fields business is the opportunity it has given to me to give back in much bigger ways than I was able to before.  I am blessed to be a part of a team who has giving as one of its core values.  Check out this video below which tells you a bit more.



I spent this past year seeking out organizations to give to, and through this time, I have found several organizations that I am proud to have supported and I want to share them with you.  When I began this giving journey, I was looking for one cause to champion and support, and what I found was several that caught my heart.

Humanwire

Humanwire provides support to refugees living in refugee camps - mainly in Lebanon and Turkey, and you are able to connect to a specific family and track your donations.  I was able to choose a family, choose food items to send them, and then I received back pictures of them with the donation.  It was pretty phenomenal and made me want to do even more for that family.  You can also choose to head up a campaign for a family - where you sponsor the family and raise money through sharing the campaign with your network.

I have chosen to start a campaign for a family - I will be sharing that link soon!


World Relief

World Relief is an organization that resettles refugees, responds to natural disasters, and works to bring peace to war-torn regions.  You can give a one-time donation, a monthly donation, or donate to a specific cause.  You can also see where the World Relief offices are located and if one is near you, you can actually volunteer with them.  According to the World Relief website, typical volunteer work includes options such as helping refugees resettle and find community in their new cities, helping immigrants in the U.S. apply for citizenship and teaching ESL classes. 


Ronald McDonald House

I know about 4-5 families who have stayed in a Ronald McDonald House.  I cannot imagine the stress that comes from having a sick child, and then to have to worry about the cost of lodging and food to be near them at a hospital!  You can donate directly to the Ronald McDonald House Charities or donate in the donations boxes as you drive through McDonald's.  You can collect soda pop tops and take them to the house closest to you.  You can also donate new toys and games and food items, as they keep a fully stocked kitchen for the families who are staying there.  You can even donate your time by cooking a meal for the families!  Contact the Ronald McDonald House near you to find out how you can help.


buildOn

As an educator, I love buildOn's mission to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations through service and education.  In the United States, buildOn’s service learning programs mobilize students in challenging urban areas to lift up their communities through intensive local service. They run service programs at 50 high schools in six US regions: Chicago, Detroit, New York, the Bay Area, Boston and Southern Connecticut.  Internationally, buildOn works in some of the poorest countries on the planet to build schools in villages that have historically had no adequate school structure.   

You can donate, host a fundraiser for one of the U.S. service programs, or work towards building a school!  




What I love about these four organizations is the opportunity to give more than money - you can also give time and really connect with the people these organizations are helping.  Although charities need money to do the good that they do, they also need people to participate - in doing the good.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joy of Home Renovations

The Refugee Crisis: How you can make a difference

Checking off the list: Chop Chop