Confessional

I have a confession to make:  I am a liberal.  This is a fact I have felt that I needed to hide based on my geographic location (the south) and religious beliefs (Christian).  I'm over hiding the truth.  I'm coming out as a full-on social liberal.  This isn't easy.  My parents are conservative, most of my acquaintances and friends are conservative, my entire state is a "blue" state. 

As long as I'm coming out as a liberal, I might as well go all the way:
  • I'm not Catholic but I love Pope Francis.  I think he is brilliant.  I think his views are truly Biblical and God-honoring.  They may not be "American" views, but I'd much rather follow what the Bible says than what American culture says. 
  • I believe in climate change.  It's happening.  It's affecting our weather patterns, and while it may not be 100% caused by humans, I think we are 100% responsible for doing what we can to stop it.
  • I do not believe in a literal 6 day creation.  I believe that when God said "Let there be light" there was a Big Bang and the universe was created.  I do not believe that God and Science are mutually exclusive.  I somehow have a difficult time believing that Adam named every animal and got bored with them within one 24-hour period. I personally could have enjoyed the company of a dog for at least a week before getting bored. 
  • I do not believe that capitalism is the best economic system.  I don't know what IS the best economic system, but I'm not naïve enough to believe it is capitalism just because I happen to live in a capitalistic country.  We have just as many problems as countries with different economies. 
  • I believe 100% in public education. This one is difficult because I'm not sure that public school is going to be the best option for Castiél. Regardless, I believe in a fully funded public education system and I am more than willing to have my tax dollars go towards that end, even if my children do not use that system of education. I'm even for free post-secondary education. College for everyone! (At the same time, please, for goodness sake fund vocational education and training!)
  • Healthcare. It's a right. Let's join the rest of the world in giving it to everyone. 
  • And while we're at it, paid parental leave. There is no reason for a mother to have to return to work immediately after having a baby. 6 weeks is not even enough time. Don't believe me? Have a baby and then let's talk. 
So there you have it. I'm announcing myself as being quite left of center. 
(Sorry Mom and Dad!) 😄

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joy of Home Renovations

The Refugee Crisis: How you can make a difference

Checking off the list: Chop Chop