To Vaccinate or Not to Vaccinate

I'm almost afraid to address this very controversial issue on my blog, but since it is an issue I am dealing with right now, it's hard not to talk about it.

Castiél's two month doctor's visit was this week, and we declined/delayed the scheduled vaccinations for today.  I have always been a bit wary of the high number of vaccinations.  There are so many more vaccines today than there were when I was a baby.  I also don't like the vaccine "cocktails" that contain more than one vaccine in one shot.  I have been very confused about what to do about vaccines, and that is why we decided to at least delay the vaccinations - we just felt like we needed additional time to do some research.

After the appointment we headed to Books-a-Million and I bought The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears.  I would highly recommend this book.  It clearly states that it is not an anti-vaccine book, and it isn't.  It is a very informative source that breaks down each vaccine and tells the risk of the disease and the risk of the vaccine along with how each vaccine is made.  It gives the pros and cons for each vaccine in a non-biased way.

After reading the book I think I have come to some decisions.

Vaccines to completely deny due to low risk (especially since Castiél is exclusively breast fed and will not be in daycare):  
  • HIB (Haemophilius Influenzae Type B Disease)
  • Rotavirus
  • Polio -- concerned about the ingredients in this vaccine
  • Pc (Pneumococcal Disease)
Other vaccines and decisions
  • HepB  (Hepatitus B)-- possibly delayed until a teen
  • HepA (Hepatitus A) -- delayed until a teenager
  • MMR (Mumps, Measles, Rubella) -- will possibly give as a teenager as the complications of the disease are more severe when contracted then
  • Chickenpox -- will possibly give as a teen if he hasn't had it before then
  • Flu -- will probably never get unless there is some crazy outbreak - we never get flu shots and we don't get sick
  • Meningococcal -- given as a teenager
Undecided: 
  • DTaP (Diptheria, Tetanus, Pertussis) - I really want Castiél to have the pertussis/whooping cough vaccine because it is much more common than some of the other vaccinated diseases.  However, I do NOT want him to have the diptheria or tetanus vaccine because they are so unnecessary.  There is not a pertussis only form of the vaccine, and that is where I am having issues.  It is most serious in the first 6 months of life, and I'm not sure I want to get him vaccinated before 6 months of age.  This may be one I deny simply because of the fact that it only comes in cocktail form.  
All in all, I was shocked at how many vaccines have been added since I was born.  It seems laughable to me to have a chickenpox vaccine - I mean, I had chickenpox twice if you can believe it and I'm no worse for the wear!  It gives me pause that we are vaccinating against common illnesses that do not have any real severe symptoms or permanent effects.  Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but it makes me wonder why the government wants to inject our children with something that that will prevent a common, non-fatal illness such as chicken pox.  Things that make me go hmmmm. .  .  


Comments

KKSorrell said…
I have not done any research on this, so I can't really intelligently comment. Will he be allowed to enter school without some of these shots?
Lea said…
This is GREAT information. Thank you for posting. I really like Dr. Sears and trust him and I completely agree with all of the points you made. If I have a child I am certainly going to refer to this entry and you because I am against most of these shots myself. Castiel is a lucky guy! XO

Popular posts from this blog

The Joy of Home Renovations

The Refugee Crisis: How you can make a difference

Checking off the list: Chop Chop