"Quarterly" Book Report #2

Okay, so I’m not doing this quarterly, I’m pretty much doing it whenever I want, but I can’t think of a better title.  J   I have to do it more often than every 3 months, otherwise I will forget about what I have read! 

Everything I’ve read in the past few months has been within the genre of Young Adult Lit except for Water for Elephants.  And most of the books were historical fiction. 
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen – This was a great book!  There were a couple of scenes that were shockingly explicit and not vital to the plot that I could have done without, but both the story and the storytelling was phenomenal.  I highly recommend this book to adult readers (not my high school students)!

  • Hunger, Lies, and Plague by Michael Grant – Books 2, 3, and 4 from the Gone series.  Hunger was an excellent sequel to Gone, and Lies was pretty good.  Plague was without a doubt the best one since Gone.  These YA books blend science fiction and reality well into a story that continues to build with each book.  I think there are going to be two more books in the series, and I am very much looking forward to reading them!
  • The Bad Queen: Rules and Instructions for Marie-Antoinette by Carolyn Meyer – Great little historical fiction book about Marie-Antoinette.  I learned a lot about her and that time period in France.  I’m not sure how historically accurate the book is, but it was an enjoyable read.  It comes from a series of books by Carolyn Meyer about young royals. 

  • The Musician’s Daughter by Susanne Dunlap – This was a book of historical fiction set in the world of 18th-century Vienna.  It involves a murder of a musician and the plot revolves around his daughter trying to solve the mystery of her dad’s death.  It took a little while for me to get into this book, but it wasn’t bad once I got into it. 

  • The Education of Bet by Lauren Baratz-Logsted – Set in 19th-century England, this is a story of an orphaned girl who was taken in by a wealthy family.  She longs for an education, but as a girl is not able to attend school.  She concocts a plan to switch places with her adoptive brother so he can enter the military and she can go to school, disguised as a boy.  It is a good book and her character is well developed as a strong female character. 

  • Threads and Flames by Esther Friesner – This book is about the tragic fire at the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory in 1911.  It follows the immigration of a young, Jewish, Polish girl to New York City where she tries to locate her sister, who had immigrated several years before.  She finds a place to live, a place to work, and she is at the factory working on the day of the fire.  This historical novel describes both the lives of immigrants and the circumstances surrounding the fire in great detail.  Although it took me a little while to get “into” the book and care about the characters, I would highly recommend this book!

  • Morning in a Different Place by Mary Ann McGuigan – This historical fiction novel is set in New York City in the 1960s and follows the friendship of an Irish girl and an African-American girl.  It deals with the racism of that time and how they each deal with it.  Also, each one has their own family issues they are dealing with.  The assassination of JFK takes place during the story as well.  I didn’t think I would like this book, but it is a short book and I ended up enjoying it. 

  • The Morgue and Me by John C. Ford – A murder-mystery book set in a small town in Michigan.  This was another book I wasn’t sure I would like but it was GREAT!  A teenage boy gets a summer job at the morgue and gets pulled into a murder mystery that is being covered up as a suicide.  He, along with a reporter from the newspaper work to solve the murder.

  • City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare – FINALLY the 4th book in The Mortal Instruments series came out.  I LOVE THIS SERIES!  This book was great – I ended up reading the entire thing in one day!  I can’t say enough good things about this book and this series – if you haven’t read them start with City of Bones, which is the first book in the series.  The author has even started a series of prequels that she is calling the Infernal Devices series.  The first book, Clockwork Angel, is already out and was excellent, but it had a cliffhanger ending and I’m dying for the next one to come out!!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joy of Home Renovations

The Refugee Crisis: How you can make a difference

Checking off the list: Chop Chop