Quarterly Book Report - March 2011

This may be the most reading I get done all year, but I thought I would post what I've read each "quarter" rather than waiting for an end-of-the-year review:

    • We also watched the movie, The Series of Unfortunate Events.  It was based on the first 3 books, and it was just so-so as well.  Great actors and such, but it wasn't all that in my opinion. 
  • The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis
    • This was actually the first book I read this year as I was finishing up the Narnia series.  This is a great book.  I loved it.  I think everyone should read the entire Narnia series.   
  • The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve
    • I read this book on the snow days when I ran out of other things (young adult fiction) to read.  I had picked it up at Goodwill a long time ago and it was just on the shelf.  It was a great book.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and read it very quickly.
  • So THAT'S what they're for! by Janet Tamaro
    • I picked this up at a yard sale or Goodwill, I can't remember which.  Since I plan on breastfeeding, it was a great read.  Funny yet informative.  
  • A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
    • This is a book I just realized I have never read and I knew I needed to.  It was very good.  Very Christian themes throughout that I didn't really expect, but I enjoyed it!  I will probably try to read the sequels later. 
  • Heading Home with Your Newborn by Laura A. Jana and Jennifer Shu
    • I'm not even sure how I got this book.  I think I got it because Carlos registered me on some website and it was sent to me for free.  Anyway, regardless of how I got it, it was a very good read.  A lot of repetitive information as most baby books say the same thing, but it was good.  I especially liked the section on "Activities for Daily Learning" and the "Just for the Health of It," which went into detail about infant health.  
  • The God Questions by Hal Seed and Dan Grinder
    • This was a book that was done in all small groups at my church, Harvest, and correlated with a sermon series.  Whereas Jim Cowart did a GREAT job with the sermons, I was not impressed with the books.  It covered some very deep questions that many non-believers have about God and Christianity, but it covered them in a very superficial manner.  I also felt that the author kind of talked AROUND issues rather than truly addressing them. 
  • Likely Story by David Van Etten
    • This was a YA book that was given to the Northside Media Center.  I read it in order to preview it for appropriateness.  It centers around soap operas, so I was not expecting much from the book.  It definitely is a fluff book, but I enjoyed the plot much more than I expected to!
  • Linger by Maggie Stiefvater
    • To be honest, I didn't complete this book.  I read it because it is a sequel (or 2nd in a series) to the book Shiver, which I really enjoyed last year.  Shiver is a twist on a werewolf story.  There are people in this town who turn into wolves in the winter, and over the years, eventually stay wolves longer and longer until they lose their "humanity" completely.  There is a girl who was attacked by the wolves but not killed when she was little, and ever since has been obsessed with the wolves - one wolf in particular.  Well, it becomes a love story between the boy/wolf and the girl.  It is better than it sounds. . . but the sequel Linger just wasn't interesting to me, so I didn't finish it.  
  • Parenting with Love and Logic by Foster Cline and Jim Fay
    • I know - I'm a total overachiever to already be reading parenting books, but I was loaned this book from a good friend.  I kept it in the car and read it aloud with Carlos when we were running errands and out and about.  I thought it was a very good book!  It's parenting philosophy centers on allowing your children to make small choices throughout life and experiencing natural consequences, so that as they become young adults, they are accustomed to decision making and are more responsible people.  I don't know if I would follow everything in it to the letter, but it is a book I would recommend to any parent.  
  • Gone by Michael Grant
    • This is the first in a YA series that I heard about at a professional development class last year.  My school's media center just got them in, so I decided to read it.  It is GREAT!  I loved it, and in fact, I am reading the second book in the series right now - Hunger.  In the book Gone, suddenly everyone over the age of 14 disappears instantly in a small California town.  The book is about how the children left begin to deal with the situation.  A twist in the story is that some of the kids begin to discover that they have certain powers, which sets up a struggle between two groups.  One of the blurbs/reviews on the book states, "If Stephen King would have written The Lord of the Flies, this would be that book." 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Looks like you've had some good reading. I love C.S. Lewis. He's my absolute favorite author. I've only read one of the Series of Unfortunate Events books. I honestly don't get it. My friend Alison made it to the end and said his philosophy is something on the order of existentialism/Camus. The only thing I thought was really funny were the little references to Beatrice in the inscriptions, playing off of Dante.

Love the fact that you are reading all the parenting books and preparing. I can't wait to hear about your little one. As for the breastfeeding book, we used to have that one at the hospital. A good book, and a funny title.
Good to hear about your life cousin.
Anonymous said…
p.s. I didn't know how to leave my Name - Melanie

Popular posts from this blog

The Joy of Home Renovations

The Refugee Crisis: How you can make a difference

Checking off the list: Chop Chop