The Curse

So I'm starting my year through the Bible using the NLT One Year Chronological Bible.  Today was (of course), the story of creation and the fall of man.  As I read, it struck me how misunderstood the curse of the woman is.  As I was growing up in church, the only part that was emphasized was the pain in childbirth.  But that's easy to avoid - just don't have kids.  Plus, it's just one day, right? 

However, I think the "real" curse is in the second part of Genesis 3:16:
"And you will desire to control your husband, but he will rule over you." 
And maybe this one only applies to married women, but it definitely DOES apply to married women!  I don't know any woman who doesn't want to be in charge - of everything, especially her husband.  I would even venture to say it is the major cause of conflict in a marriage. . . the power struggle for control. 

A secular, but interesting, book that talks about this issue is The Surrendered Wife.  Our culture (even Christian culture) is very against the idea of "Wives submit to your husbands" (Ephesians 5:22, Colossians 3:18, 1 Peter 3:1)  Women run most churches (at least most ministries within the church) and most women run their households, including major decisions, finances, and parenting.  Watch any TV sitcom and you will see an intelligent woman in control and an idiotic husband who is simply there to be the butt of the jokes.  I think this cultural phenomenon ties directly back to Genesis 3:16.  Of course, men aren't blameless - they passively stand by and allow this to happen.  I mean look at Genesis 3.  Adam was WITH Eve when the serpent convinced her to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and he did NOTHING. 

I think this is something that all Christian couples must stand against in our culture.  And it isn't easy.  (Believe me!)  But this is one very concrete way that we can live counter-culturally and follow the commands of the Bible.  And although it isn't fun to give up control, it is beneficial -- to the relationship and to your own general happiness. 

I finally decided that if I couldn't submit to my husband in tangible, concrete ways, how was I ever going to submit to God in ways that are usually much more abstract? 
2 Chronicles 30:8, Job 22:21, Romans 10:3, James 4:7

Comments

wonderful insights....I just finished reading through the Bible in 2010. It was a great thing to work my way through all of scripture. This year, I'm starting off the year with a Beth Moore personal reflections study on John. Blessings to you this new year!

Popular posts from this blog

The Joy of Home Renovations

The Refugee Crisis: How you can make a difference

Checking off the list: Chop Chop