Thoughts of a Christian Atheist

I just got finished reading The Christian Atheist by Craig Groeschel. It is a really great book that challenges Christians to break out of their holy bubble and take an honest look at themselves. The subtitle, "Believing in God but Living as If He Doesn't Exist" is a powerful statement in and of itself.

I was really excited to read this book simply because of the title, and the first several chapters were easy reading - then it got to chapters that hit a little too close to home: When you Believe in God but Pursue Happiness at any Cost, When you Believe in God but Trust more in Money, and When you Believe in God but Don't Share your Faith. I would like to say that these chapters describe most Christians, but that doesn't really matter. All that matters is that they describe ME.

Although I know in my head that it isn't true, it is easy to believe that God exists to help me be happy and prosperous. It wasn't until I realized how rich I was when compared to the rest of the world that my eyes were opened to how ridiculous that idea is.

I'm glad that my eyes were opened to these issues (again), and I am praying that I am able to take a step toward God and away from happiness and money. It certainly isn't easy to do, particularly in our culture of immediate gratification and greed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joy of Home Renovations

The Refugee Crisis: How you can make a difference

Checking off the list: Chop Chop