Living Counter-Culturally: It's All About ME!!!!

In our culture of 15-minutes of fame and reality TV stars, it is difficult to remember that it is, in fact, NOT all about me!

Facebook, Twitter, and Myspace allow people to broadcast to anyone who will listen the menial details of their day.

It is uncommon to point to Christ, unless you are a rap star accepting an award, and these same people rarely point to Him with their life!

I have an excellent example of how I failed in this area. When I received my National Board Certification, my county put out a press release with a quote from me. I blew it. I could have pointed to Jesus. I could have said that I couldn't have done it without Him. I could have thanked Him for the opportunity to go through the process in the first place. But I didn't. I pointed to me, me, me.

When Carlos pointed this fact out to me, I realized how natural it is to take praise and forget to refocus that praise where it belongs -- on God. I am ashamed to say that God didn't even cross my mind as I was formulating my "profound" quote.

I do not strive for fame, but I do strive to accomplish my personal goals. Goals that I could not even formulate if God didn't give me the brain to do so and the breath to live every day. I take for granted every blessing He gives me and assume that I "deserve" certain things because I work hard for them, not remembering that I am nothing without God. (This also touches on our entitlement culture - another topic for another time.)

You may say to yourself, "My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me." But remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth.
(Deuteronomy 8:17-18a)


Even though it goes against human nature and our own culture, I am trying to remember that it is NOT all about me!

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. (I Corinthians 10:24)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joy of Home Renovations

The Refugee Crisis: How you can make a difference

Checking off the list: Chop Chop