Cluttered Thoughts

Last week at my church, Jennifer Cowart preached on the fact that people are either talkers, feelers, thinkers, or doers. I am a DOER with a side of talker. I have NO feeler or thinker attributes. This is not always a good combination. For example, throughout my life, I have DONE many things without thinking. This has led to many problems. Maybe not problems, but certainly consequences!

Another issue is that when I feel like my head is "cluttered," I have a hard time thinking through everything. I just want to DO. I can only describe it as having "cluttered thoughts." Usually I have too much to do and can't really keep things straight. Instead of thinking through it all, prioritizing, etc., it makes me want to clean out physical clutter in my life. So here I am, too many things to do already, and I'm cleaning out closets and such. Instead of being productive (which I love), I am just running around like a chicken with my head cut off!

I'm trying to carry around a notebook where I can "brain dump" - and get the thoughts OUT of my head and onto paper - where I can see what actions I need to take. We'll see if that helps.

A final problem with being a doer is I rarely want to sit down and read my Bible, meditate, and pray. I want to be DOING something! However, I am realizing more and more that if I can follow the directions of Psalm 46:10 to "Be still and know that I am God," I would be much more content.

On a side note, I've always wondered what that verse actually meant - I wondered what "know that I am God" meant. I think I have figured it out! If I am not "still" with God, then I think that I am God - not Him. By resting in His presence, I become aware that "there is a God, and it is not me" (quote from Rick Warren, not me).

So, as I was sitting here about to post a status on facebook about being stressed out, I think I am going to log off and read some Psalms, maybe starting with Psalm 46:10!

Comments

Michele said…
I'm following your thought process here. I'm guilty of the same thing. I think that Pslam 46:10 is a verse that requires some thought. It sounds like a simple thing to do--be still. In our crazy, hectic lives with fast paced schedules we rarely have time to just "be still". Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

The Joy of Home Renovations

The Refugee Crisis: How you can make a difference

Checking off the list: Chop Chop