I am a sinner

I spent many years avoiding "social sins", then several years trying them all out - it took nearly 30 years before I began dealing with "REAL" sins like pride, selfishness, and greed. (See Matthew 23:25-28)

It has taken me a long time to realize that my sins of omission far outnumber my sins of commission, and I should deal with that. Of course, I'm not doing those things which I should be doing because of the root sins of laziness, selfishness, pride, and greed.

I'm reading Crazy Love by Francis Chan, and this quote in the chapter on Lukewarm Christians really grabbed me:

Lukewarm people do not live by faith; their lives are structured so they never have to. They don't have to trust God if something unexpected happens -- they have their savings account. They don't need God to help them -- they have their retirement plan in place. They don't genuinely seek out what life God would have them live -- they have life figured and mapped out. They don't depend on God on a daily basis -- their refrigerators are full, and for the most part, they are in good health. The truth is, their lives wouldn't look much different if they suddenly stopped believing in God.


Wow! What makes MY life different from that of unbelievers?

Since my small group completed the start>Becoming a Good Samaritan study last year, I have realized (in small steps) that my life needs to drastically change. Or at least my priorities. I'm still not sure what that is going to look like, but at least my heart is open to the possibility of breaking out of the mold. I'm trying to keep eyes open to the every day opportunities God gives me to live differently -- to serve others -- to give generously.

I think ACTIONS (even very small actions) are going to make the biggest difference in changing my lazy, selfish, greedy self into something more like Christ.

Comments

laurie said…
well said.....

Popular posts from this blog

The Joy of Home Renovations

The Refugee Crisis: How you can make a difference

Checking off the list: Chop Chop