Wants vs. Needs

The pull toward selfishness and materialism is so strong for me, and unfortunately, at this most sacred time of the year, we are even more bombarded by images and messages that encourage us to "get whatever we want." I have found that managing this pull is easier now that I am aware of it.

For example, I have worked some football games this year, and I think I will be paid about $250 for that time. Immediately I began making a "wish list" of all the things I want that could be bought with that money: a Wii, an iPod touch, scrapbooking supplies galore, clothes, shoes, purses, etc. I was able to curb that thought long enough to think of other things it could go toward: an awesome gift for Carlos, a World Vision donation that would actually make a difference in someone's life, our Christmas offering at church that will go to drill wells in Africa. Then I had the thought that the money could go toward debt, but I wondered if that was also a selfish desire since it only benefited me.

My awareness of my selfishness doesn't make it go away, but it does allow me to think PAST my huge wish lists and not succumb to the need for immediate gratification.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joy of Home Renovations

The Refugee Crisis: How you can make a difference

Checking off the list: Chop Chop