Vanity versus Honor

So I went to bed last night feeling guilty about my desire for the Louboutin shoes. Certainly this materialistic streak must be dealth with, right? I started thinking about my love of fashion - particularly dresses and shoes. Is it wrong?

I Corinthians 6:19-20 says, "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body."

Does this verse fit into the world of fashion? I want to present myself well and look my best. When does one cross the line from honoring your body into vanity? I'm not sure, but I do know that I need to be less selfish and put the needs of others before my own (particularly since a new pair of shoes is not particularly a "need").

So even though I found these ruby slippers, which generally cost around $700 for only $150, I have to ask myself what else could be done with $150? I immediately think of the needs of children around the world. Foundation Rwanda works to further the education of children in Rwanda. $150 covers ALL expenses to send one child to boarding school for an entire year.

Which completely puts my shoes into perspective . . .

Comments

Karissa Sorrell said…
I don't think anything's wrong with wanting a pair of shoes. I think we live in a capitalist economy which thrives on marketing and advertising that creates consumers - yes, sometimes greedy consumers. By marketing and advertising I don't just mean commercials and billboards. Think of the show Sex in the City. Any woman who watches that immediately wants to have shoes like Carrie's! What if you matched any money you spend on splurges - like those shoes - by contributing the same amount to a charity?

Popular posts from this blog

The Joy of Home Renovations

The Refugee Crisis: How you can make a difference

Checking off the list: Chop Chop